Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Oh, The Humanity!



This morning, like just about every other morning, I was shopping at Sam's Club. I lend a hand at my wife and her sister's business, which entails....ironically enough....picking up supplies. It's ironic because I, pretty much, hate shopping. If I could, I'd order everything online and have it delivered. No muss, no fuss. It's almost to the point where I hate going out in public because people just seem to be either rude or oblivious to their surroundings.  Anyway, their business being as small as it is, there's not much (i.e. any) room to store things, which necessitates having to go to Sam's almost every morning.

Things usually aren't that bad because I get up early with my wife, take her to work, then hop on over to shop before the unwashed (i.e. rude) masses start arriving. This morning I had a few more errands to run and was later than usual (though still early for most folks), but figured I could grab the things I needed, hit the self check out, and be out before 10 am.

It was not meant to be, at least this morning. I grabbed my supplies and headed to the self check-out, only to be told that they were down.

All of them....and I knew what that meant.

Standing In Line (Ugh!)

I sighed a bit and headed over to one of the two cashiers on duty. Well, that is, behind the long line of people at one of the two cashiers on duty. Being a "business member" has it's privileges, but not so much when everyone else seems to be a "business member", as well. The place was pretty busy but, again, I was running late so it was my own fault.

As I stood in line, I started getting a bit frustrated. Couldn't they open more registers? Of course, having been a one time employee of Sam's Club (8133, Florence KY., thank you) I knew the answer...."More For Less" (at least when paying people to be there at certain times goes). I gave another, internal sigh and leaned against my cart, looking at the people in front of me. Over in the other line, I noticed a lady with a baby ( a HUGE baby...very fat and very cute) slung across her chest in a harness. She was pretty small, but her cart was loaded like she was feeding a huge family....which she might have been, who knows. Behind her was an elderly couple and I noticed he had one of those baseball caps that designated he was a Veteran of something, I couldn't quite make it out. What his cap said wasn't important...what was important, though, was what he did.

I guess he noticed her struggling, or something, and I could see him motion to her to let him help her. She smiled and stepped back, focusing on wrangling her baby while he stacked her entire cart up on the conveyor belt to be checked out....smiling all the while. It wasn't one of those "I'm Helping So You'll Get Out Of Line Quicker" type of moves either. More like "I'm Helping Because I Can See You Need It".

It was strange, but it felt like all the frustration I had at being held up in line just drained out of me. I got this goofy smile on my face as I watched and, maybe I'm just getting sentimental in my old age, but it made me feel good just to witness. I usually have a pretty cynical view of people, these days, but seeing things like this goes a long way in restoring my faith in humanity and my fellow man. It's almost like it was meant to happen.

Maybe it was.

Maybe I just needed to see this today.

Who knows, maybe I just need to keep a more optimistic eye on my surroundings. If it means seeing more acts of kindness like this, it just might be worth it.

Since I haven't posted any music in a while, I'll leave you with a fitting song by the great Glen Campbell..... Try A Little Kindness



Have a great week.

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Nice to know that type of kindness still exists in the world. You did need to see it.
I hate shopping as well. Home delivery all the way.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

What a sweet man. That moment was a reality check, wasn't it?

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Doing a kind thing like that probably made that man feel better than it did the woman he helped.

Julie Flanders said...

What a sweet story. I think maybe I needed to read it today.
And I had to laugh while reading your post as I hate shopping too and probably would have burst into tears when all the self-checkout lanes were down. LOL

S.P. Bowers said...

While there is a lot depressing about the world there is still things like this if we look for it. So glad you found it when you needed it.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

That is so sweet. I'm not surprised he was a veteran. They make a life out of helping and protecting others.

Maurice Mitchell said...

In this busy world it's nice to see some people still find time to do the right thing. The greatest generation indeed.

Jack said...

This is so woderful. It is rare to see, but I love when I witness acts of kindness like that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...