Saturday, July 4, 2015

Happy Independence Day!



The wife and I have been a bit under the weather for the past week, so we spent our Fourth quarantined to the couch, watching old Godzilla movies and the John Adams mini-series on HBO. Of course there were bouts of napping tucked in between, as well. We managed to grill up a few burgers and catch a glimpse of some local fireworks (from the back yard), but that's about the extent of our celebration.

All in all, though, we still had a good time and got some much needed rest.

Sometimes (especially recently) it seems like the outlook is a bit bleak, these days, but remember that freedom is in the heart and mind first and foremost.We should always be thankful for all the freedoms we enjoy and for those who sacrificed so much to give said freedoms to us.

I hope you're all doing well, getting lots of writing done, and had a very safe and happy Independence Day.

8 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Mark - glad you're both feeling better - sometimes we just need to gather our strengths back and work out the 'wearing ourselves to the bone' .. take care and yes we are very lucky to live where we do and experience freedom.

Cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry you've been sick. Did the Godzilla films help any?

Leslie S. Rose said...

I love the John Adams mini-series. It gave me some great nuances to teach my 5th graders American history. They're always shocked to learn that he defended the redcoats after the Boston Massacre.

Mark Means said...

@Hilary: Thank you!

@Alex: Thanks and,yes,the Godzilla flicks sure didn't hurt anything. :)

@Leslie: From what I saw, I liked. It was a little slow, though, and I think I'm going to have to go back and watch the whole thing through. I napped through some of it. Still looked pretty interesting, though.

Maurice Mitchell said...

I couldn't agree more that we all need a good time and much needed rest. I just relaxed with my family and saw a movie with my wife which is great! What a sound post, and hope you have a great evening Man.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Hope you're back to full power by now. We had a busy, loud family weekend but it's not that often we all get together.
Susan Says

Julie Flanders said...

I hope you and your wife are both feeling much better now, Mark. Always nice to see you pop up in the blog feed. :)

Robin said...

Hey Mark,

Welcome back to blogging.

I'm on vacation this month. I leave for summer camp tomorrow and will be unplugged until Aug. 1. Right now we're visiting family and friends and will be doing the same for the ten days after camp. So, my blogging will be nonexistent followed by sporadic. However, I do have a few posts slated to post while I'm "gone."

I promise to reconnect with everyone when I'm "re-plugged."

Happy July and August!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...